Get Actively Involved in the Outcome of Search Results
Don’t take negative publicity lying down. Increase your overall positive web presence by becoming actively involved in the outcome of search engine results. First, MONITOR what’s being said about you, and then, positively INFLUENCE the results of online searches.
Monitor what’s being said online. Monitoring information that relates to your brand on a daily basis will help you track negative publicity before it can seriously affect search rankings. Use Internet monitoring systems to inform you of news about your brand:
- Set up Google and Yahoo! Alerts to track the mention of your company / brand in the news
- Use sites such as Feedster and Technorati to watch your brand in blogs (More free monitoring tools for your reputation online will be discussed in next blog post)
- Customize RSS readers for brand tracking
- Track for all names including brand names, company names, product names, and key employee names
- Monitor industry-related sites and directories
- Influence results. Your online assets are the sites that you have control over and can use to dominate the search engine rankings. These include corporate sites, sister sites / micro-sites, product sites, corporate blogs, employee blogs, partner sites (supplier sites, recruitment sites) and corporate communications (press releases, articles). Identify the most influential sites for your industry and get actively involved by becoming a regular contributor to relevant blogs and forums. You may also want to empower a member of your organization to participate in these.
- Lead the conversation about your brand.
- Engage with contributors to blogs and forums and attempt to build a relationship with them. Make these two-way conversations and use the comments sections to get your viewpoint across.
- React positively to consumer complaints and encourage satisfied consumers to post their comments.
- Ensure top SEO listings for your corporate site and associated sites.
- Develop your own corporate blog to support marketing and customer service.
- Encourage employee blogging, which can then be search engine optimized for your brand. It’s time to strengthen your online presence, so that you can take advantage of the emerging Internet marketing trends in the coming year.